

SIRIUS Board meeting 15th
December 10am CET – Online – MPG Zoom account

Present:

Tomislav Tudjman (note-taker – membership conversation)

Thomas Huddleston

Lana Junko

Hanna Siarova

Michalis Kakos

Mialy Dermish (note-taker – rest of meeting)

Agenda

1. GA - FEBRUARY 2021 Items and next steps for preparation of online GA
 - Revision of rules and procedures
 - Revision of membership fees
 - Onboard new members
 - Election of new board member (or option for new members if people want to step down)
 - Prospective 2021 budget (in more detail, already approved last year) - Please find attached an activity-based budget as a first step towards this.
 - Update on annual work plan and secretariat (in more detail, already approved last year)
2. The number and timing of SIRIUS aisbl's new governance board (e.g. agreement of the timing for the approval of the prospective budget, the agreement of the previous year's accounts and the preparation of 1-2 online vs. physical GAs each year). - See Thomas presentation attached
3. AOB: Any updates on the closing of 2020

Thomas: For this meeting we will discuss what we will do for the GA in February. We will not discuss content but discuss who will work on what and timeline so that all is ready for our GA in time. In January we need to look more at the 2021 aisbl and 2.0 project budget and also look at how the board will interact more.

1 – GA IN Feb

Revision of rules and procedures

Thomas: Michalis and Lana raised this as something to review in the last meetings given Mialy's elevation to ED. How could we go about this?

Mialy: I have attached the rules and procedures to the e-mail for this meeting and they can be found there.

Lana: I can take a first look and make suggestions and then send to Michalis. Timing is a bit scarce this month and next but I can send a version of a revision by 10th of January.

Michalis: That is fine for me a

Lana: We can have a week of discussions and then send to board and have a board meeting end of January where the ideas are approved and then send on for a GA in February.

Thomas: At the moment I am the only legal representative for SIRIUS aisbl – so can you take that into account?

Action point: Lana and Michalis to produce revision to rules and procedures for end January board meeting

Lana: Yes Any other issues to highlight?

Revision of membership fees

Mialy: Presentation on membership fees (in attached documents)

A new form of membership fees should be proposed to the GA. Members will decide if the plan will be incorporated.

- Different models as per presentation
- Basic idea: not drastically change in 2021, due to SIRIUS 2.0 where members invest own budget for the activities.
- You cannot change fees from 300 to 3000 at once.
- When changing fees: strategy and benefit should be clear for members. Now not all members can profit from SIRIUS in the way they want.
- Mialy comes with a revised proposal 10th of January with a paragraph on aims of \ members on board. So more NGO's and migrant-led organizations.

Action point: Mialy to write a proposal to present to members in GA about future revision to the membership fees with focus on transparency and responsiveness and ask for ideas for February GA. Mialy to request all members who do not currently pay membership fees to request in writing not to do so and for that to be presented to the GA so that they can be approved by all other members.

Onboard new members

Tom: For PORTICUS we need to have a more balanced members on board. So more NGO's and migrant-led organisations.

Mialy: Can all the board members please write to me with their suggestions of new members and eventually do an introduction so that we can engage with them.

Thomas: Concerning onboarding new members, how about German members and are we progressing in funding anyone?

Mialy: We had a few German participants in our inclusive digital workshop, I had planned to write to all participants and let them know that SIRIUS is a member organisation that they can join. Claudia brought on Jens Schneider to help and I wondered if his University or organization might be interested to join?

Thomas: In the past Jens received push-back from his University about joining but you can always check in again. Yes, do write to German participants from the Digital workshop and see if they are interested in joining.

Lana: Can we write to Michalis – he has been working with NEC (?) in Germany and come colleagues there could be interested in joining?

Mialy: As for doing the onboarding we have a Flemish intern who is Belgian, based in Bruges who is studying a Masters online in the US who can take on our internship as part of her academic cursus. She will be with us from late January to help with onboarding new members.

Action point: Mialy to write to German participants and ask if they are interested in joining SIRIUS and discuss with Claudia and Jens. Board members to introduce new members to mialy, SIRIUS to be mindful that more migrant organisations are important to bring more balance to the membership.

Election of new board member (or option for new members if people want to step down)

Thomas: We will be able to elect a new board member in February as we currently only have 4 (Tom being the interim director this year). Also, as our terms are slowly coming up, we may wish to avoid all board members leaving at the same time so if anyone is interested in leaving at this stage then they could consider it now?

Mialy: The term for board members is 3 years from start.

Lana: I would like to step down from the board. It is a difficult decision for me as my heart is invested in SIRIUS but I currently do not have a schedule that it is easy for me to continue my part. Would it be better for me to leave in February or later and when would I have to let you now.

Mialy: Ideally it would be good to know by 20th December and then we can inform the members that a new GA will take place and they can propose themselves as new board members so everyone has time to inform themselves before the actual GA in February.

Thomas: OK, we would ask that you can still be present for a hand-over on finances on aisbl and also on project in January as there are still some issue to get to grips with in those areas.

Hanna – I would also like to step down as I have been asked to be a Director within PPMI and my workload will increase I am very happy, however to work on the clear agenda throughout the next year and would like to propose we bring it up at the next GA to get member feedback before we move forward with it. - Inclusion Agenda 2030.

Thomas: Mialy, can you connect with Hanna on that to ensure it is in the GA next year?

Mialy yes

Thomas: Mialy has connected with some members who have expressed interest in running as Board members – Mialy who are they?

Mialy: I connected with our Swedish member who is interested and also Sevak in Ireland, although that was earlier in the year so with everyone's timetables that might mean things have changed, there may have been one other member from the migrant—organisation side. Finally, I also want to say that I am worried that if Lana steps down that we will not have someone with the adequate skills to step into the treasurer position. We will need someone with these skills to ensure financial oversight.

Thomas: We will have a meeting in January with Milos Lana, Alexander and yourself to ensure that hand-over is clear and that the framework is set up straight for year 4 of the project and all activities are properly funded e.t.c.

Lana and Mialy: It will be on 5th January at 2pm CET.

Thomas: Mialy can you inform Milos

Mialy: I am thinking more on the aisbl side.

Lana: When we announce a new board member we need to announce that the role of this person is that this person should be a treasurer. There must be someone in the network who can do it and hopefully they will be willing to run as a board member but we definitely need someone in this position.

Action points: All board members who want to step down or change roles in February are to send a confirmation of this to Mialy by February 20th as well as board members who would like to move into chair of board role in February. Mialy to inform Milos of finances meeting. To note - everyone's term is 3 years - try not to have everyone leave at same time?!

Prospective 2021 budget (in more detail, already approved last year) - Please find attached an activity-based budget as a first step towards this AND Update on annual work plan and secretariat (in more detail, already approved last year)

Thomas: What we will need to see from you Mialy is a one page workplan for 2021 and a budget with separated funding streams so it is clear how each person's salary is or different activities are paid for by funding.

Mialy: Ok – the work plan attached to the e-mail should be ok for a workplan and the initial activity-based projection is a start to the final budgeting. I can work on separating the activities into separate budget streams so we understand the activities and how they will be paid for as currently our activities (if pursued as per the activity budget) are more than the incoming budget but we can rectify that through some financial strategizing.

Thomas: Can you change the months from 1-3 to Jan – March and then this will work for the GA please? As for the budget we need it in different tabs or columns showing how salary and other funding is apportioned.

Lana: Can you do it in the columns please?

Mialy: I might need help in building the consolidated budget but I will start on it from what I have so far.

Lana: Mialy, did you find anyone who can help with finances for the next year?

Mialy : I did talk to an old colleague of mine who has experience with EU funding and getting all the different co-funding pieces to match in different ways. I have her CV and can send it to you. I think that if we can pay her for several days work she can help us to set up a framework by which I can monitor everything and also look at financial strategy for keeping us afloat over the next few years. We could also ask her to check in sometime later in the year to make sure we are on track and things are being documents properly e.t.c. I also have looked at hiring both a communications and an admin person and it seems it is easier financially to hire a single person because of the high Belgian tax system. I found someone who is strong on communications and willing to do some administration work. She helped with the recent digital workshop and is interested. I need to work on her contract and what that would look like with PARTENA. In addition we applied for some Belgian funding for an admin finance role for next year. We will find out if we secured it in January. If we have secured the funding it will mean we have a comms and admin position and also a finance admin person.

Thomas: When Lana sends a draft on rules and procedures – can you – Mialy- make a comment on budgets, finances and financial oversight - in order to help to restructure governance side of things?

Action points: Mialy to change month numbers to names of months, Mialy to consolidate individual budgets and show how individual projects are funded through different streams. Mialy to send CV of financial consultant to Lana. Mialy to comment on Lana's review of rules and procedures.

Thomas: Also, we should agree on the board that the steering committee should always have minutes that are sent to MPG, the ED and the board, whenever there is a change in the work plan- the board needs to be alerted. We should also make sure that all our board notes are kept in the same place and we will need to get this organised.

Action point: Mialy to contact Milos about steering committee notes and to ensure that all notes from Board are kept in a single location.

The number and timing of SIRIUS aisbl's new governance

Thomas: We don't have much time to discuss now but next year we will switch to a governance board and we will need to do this with the new board, given there will be some change. So we can do this once Mialy has shared the annual workplan and the board will then only check in to ensure that things are on track and they will focus on key decision or information points as opposed to being involved in each decision.

Action point: We will need to ensure the next board meeting with new members takes into consideration these points.

AOB: Any updates on the closing of 2020

Thomas: Right now I think I am the only legal signatory for SIRIUS aisbl and so that will need to be changed – in the rules and procedures.

Lana: Yes, we will need to make it for Mialy to be able to be a legal signatory too.

Mialy: Another business - my contract as ED – I take it I do the admin and then Thomas is the one to sign it?

Thomas: Yes, you might need to ask PARTENA as usually it is an addenda that they will do.

Mialy: OK I will write and ask them to send on the relevant info. but I know they are really busy now and so may not be able to do it quickly...

Thomas: If you write with a certain start date they can backdate it to then even if you do not sign it before. What date would you like to start 1st of January ?

Mialy : Yes, 1st of January.

Hanna : Another business - Center for Intercultural and inter-dialogue in Austria would like to collaborate in some way, Maybe we can think about how to move forward with that - organize a joint event and produce in our digital environment ?

Mialy: OK, Hanna I can follow up with that with you.

Action points:

Mialy and Hanna follow-up on Austrian centre, Lana and Michalis take on board legal signatory issue for SIRIUS.