The project looks into the professional capacity of teachers to deal with diversity related to migration
Summary of the project
The project looks into the professional capacity of teachers to deal with diversity related to migration (in all its different forms). Professional capacity includes innovative forms of cooperation between educational professionals and other professionals dealing with children. A review of the literature (Severiens, Wolff & Van Herpen, 2014) shows that strengthening professional capacity with the aim to stimulate school success among diverse groups of migrant students asks for expertise in five content areas: language diversity, pedagogy/didactics, social psychology and identity, parental involvement and community-schools relationships. The review by Severiens et al. concludes that if schools are committed to increasing achievement among migrant groups, and closing the achievement gap, they should facilitate high levels of professional capacity in these five areas of expertise.
On the basis of the review, NAOS will promote mutual learning on effective pre-service teacher training as well as in-service professional development activities.
Aims/Objectives of the project
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen professional capacity in the partner countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Norway, Lithuania and Portugal) and their respective schools. With the ultimate goal to increase educational attainment and reduce drop out and unemployment among groups of migrant children. The project is called ‘NAOS’, a star that refers to the fundament of a Greek building. By choosing this name, the partners emphasised the idea that professional capacity is the fundament of good quality education.
The project addresses and involves in the action educators, researchers, practitioners, and experts.
- Forum for Freedom in Education
- Pedagogic Institute Cyprus
- Tartu International School MTU
- University of Patras
- Public Policy and Management Institute - PPMI
- Erasmus University
- Ostfold University College - HIOF
- University of Porto
European Commission, DG EAC
Deliverables / output of the project
The following deliverables were produced:
- A review of the literature in five areas: language development, didactic resources, social psychology issues, parents and community organisations;
- Activities in each of these five areas to collect and exchange information from the participating countries on effective pre-service teacher training as well as in-service professional development activities;
- Handbook of NAOS Study Visits: A Synthesis of Good Practices in Teachers’ Professional Development in Primary and Secondary Schools
- A final international conference
Coordinator of the project